Saturday 14 September 2013

The Walk for Freedom

Today was the Walk for Freedom in Toronto, I had a good time and found it inspiring, it made me want to make a further effort in some way to raise awareness and push police to deal with the concern. I enjoyed learning about the personal stories of individuals, and the places we shared things in common, it was terrible to hear that the average amount of times a trafficked woman gets raped is 15 times a day, and that they are rarely allowed to eat, but it made me want to do something about it. It must destroy a woman's soul, I read that, but now I understand that. You could imagine what it would be like just once. I tried my best to pay attention during the speeches, despite the conditions (someone had a lot of gas), but stuck it out and felt like something was accomplished.

I also liked the vibe of the people who presented, very nice women and men, and it's impressive they put the whole thing together themselves and gave the people who do it hell, takes guts, cause bikers, triads or the russian mafia just might kill you. I got to yell "stop human trafficking" to a biker, which made them look like idiots, but it made me realize, the things I do, despite being a jerk at times, in my 'approach' to speaking up about it, isn't as much as I could be doing. I should be helping spread much more awareness to find these places where these people are kept, and get police to get them out, I could volunteer as a criminologist or something, study patterns of cases, and join the groups that currently exist, but not get involved in police business physically.


www.free-them.ca

www.savethewomen.ca

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/09/14/survivors-speak-at-toronto-walk-to-end-human-trafficking




No comments:

Post a Comment